Thursday, April 28, 2011

Response from Congressman Don Young on H.R. 904

Dear Mr. Kxxxx,


Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 904, which is legislation to prohibit the U.S. Department of Transportation from providing grants to any state, or local government, to be used to check helmet usage or to create motorcycle-only checkpoints. I appreciate the benefit of your thoughts.

I do not support providing federal funds to be used for motorcycle-only checkpoints. If the federal government involves itself in motorcycle safety, the focus should be on accident prevention, not occupant protection. The inherent exposure on a motorcycle limits occupant protection success. SAFETEA-LU, the last highway bill, of which I was primary sponsor, provided $25 million for motorcycle rider education and motorist awareness of motorcycles. Since this program has been funded, motorcycle fatalities dropped for the first time in 11 years, by a decrease of 10% between 2008 and 2009. Motorcycle-only checkpoints will not prevent accidents. The most effective means of avoiding an accident is through proper education.

H.R. 904 has been referred to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, of which I am a member. Should this legislation come to the Committee Floor for a vote, rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Once again, thank you for expressing your views on this issue. I hope this letter clarified any questions you might have. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter at http://donyoung.house.gov/IMA/issue_subscribe.htm and my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RepDonYoung. Doing so will allow me to provide you with updates on this and other important issues. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
DON YOUNG
Congressman for All Alaska

1 comment: